What is metabolic syndrome?
Metabolic syndrome is a kind of life style disease with risk factors occurring in one person. These diseases are abdominal obesity, hypertension, elevated blood glucose level, and hyperlipidemia. If left untreated, it may cause stroke, arteriosclerosis, etc. . It especially increases the risk of cardiovascular disease approximately four times.
How many are affected by metabolic syndrome?
- One of three Seoul citizens over 30 suffers from metabolic syndrome.
- With the rise in obesity, the number of metabolic syndrome patients also increase.
- In Korea, metabolic syndrome prevails in males in their 40s and 50s; also in menopausal women.
Metabolic syndrome standard
One is considered to have metabolic syndrome if one falls in at least three among the following five items
||Male: 90 cm or more, Female: 85 cm or more
||150mg/dL or more, or taking dyslipidemia-related drug
||Less than 40mg/dL (male) or less than 50mg/dL (female), or taking dyslipidemia-related drug
||Systolic blood pressure 130mmHg or more / diastolic blood pressure 85mmHg or more, or taking hypertension -related drug
||Fasting blood glucose 100mg/dL or more, or taking diabetes mellitus-related drug
Metabolic Syndrome Center Operation Information
- For Whom: Gangnam-gu residents in ages between 20 and 64 years old.
- Advance reservations are required and participants must be fasted after 10 o'clock of the night before.
- Place: Gangnam-gu Public Health Center (3F) Metabolic Syndrome Control Center( 02-3423-7233~5)
- Scope of test:
- Five health tests: Blood pressure, blood glucose, neutral fats, HDL-cholesterol, and abdomen size
- Providing individual customized consultation and education including nutrition, exercise, anti-smoking, and stress, etc. depending on the result of the test.
- SMS service will be provided for continued management through lifestyle changes.
House Visitation Metabolic Syndrome Program Information
There are people in need to be checked for Metabolic Syndrome who find it difficult to visit the Public Health Center. Therefore, the Center is operating the house visitation service for groups consisting of 25 persons or more who apply for this service.
- Qualification of applicants
- Recipients: Groups of 25 or more Kangnam-gu residents from businesses, apartment communities, schools and others.
- Place of test: Hall, education room, meeting room, etc. of the entity that allows consultation and education
- Scope of service
- Five health checks: Blood pressure, blood glucose, neutral fats, HDL-cholesterol, and abdomen size (Fasting must be done through the night before the test from 10:00 p.m.)
- Providing individual customized consultation such as nutrition, exercise, anti-smoking, stress, etc. depending on the test result (first consultation, 6 months, and 12 months)
- Providing group education on nutrition and exercise, phone consultation, SMS service, etc. (once a month)